01 02 03 Erynn's Blog: Way Back When 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Way Back When

34

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the olden days.

As in, the days before Jon ever saw me with the flu, before he discovered that my idea of camping and "roughing it" was sleeping on a crappy mattress at a creepy motel, before I found out that a "deep snapper" was not something similar to a "loud clapper", before we were commiserating over the sudden explosion of dog hair surrounding our house and waaaaay before our little pumpkin head was busy ramming his head, foot or arm into my bladder (um. I'll be right back).

Back when Jon and I had first met and first started flirting and first began dating.

The first time I saw him, I remember thinking, "Hey! He's tall!" When you are 5'7" and living in a state populated by guys whose average height is around 5'5", anyone over six foot was considered quite the find. And the fact that he was really cute didn't hurt. We met at a college Bible study that took place at my parents' house and it wasn't too long after we met that Jon started staying quite late afterwards, making himself comfortable on the couch and just talking to me.

I thought that he must be very lonely and probably missed having a home with a family in it since he was from California and came out here to play for the football team as a deep snapper.

I didn't ask him what that was, I just nodded like I knew exactly what he was talking about. Then I asked Dad to meet me for lunch so he could tell me what it was.

Apparently, these people snapped the ball between their legs for all punts and kicks. All-righty then.

It took a little while (aka two months) for me to realize that Jon was not lonely, nor was he just coming over to hang out with my family, but he was actually coming over to hang out with me.

Well, this changed things. Now I had to worry about what I was going to wear when he came over instead of just being content with whatever I'd worn the rest of the day.

I remember the first time he hugged me. I was standing on the porch step outside my front door and he was leaving after a very long night of talking after Bible study. It was just the two of us outside and we were finishing up our chat when he stepped over and wrapped his arms around my waist.

He was standing a step below and was still taller than me.

And I can still remember how I thought he might be able to hear my heart banging out of my chest. I'm pretty sure I didn't breathe through that whole hug. Suddenly, I was very aware that Jon liked me and I was definitely certain that I liked him.

I love remembering those days! :) There was so much uncertainty - was he the one? How would I know if he was? What if he didn't feel the same way about me as I did about him? Or vice versa?

If it's okay with you guys, I might just take a trip down memory lane on this blog. :) But in the meantime, I want to hear your stories too (and if you're single, I want to hear what you are looking for in a guy)!


~~
35 36 37 38